How about exploring the land of Marwaris for your next vacation? Are you ready to be amazed by vibrant Marwari culture? Have you ever given a thought to the hidden facts about this land? Do you know the most interesting stories about Bishnoi community and their sacrifices for forest conservation? Rural Odyssey brings you a rich cultural experience in a small village, a few miles away from Jodhpur, where sweet smiles and warm hospitality of Marwaris is bound to win your heart.
Pay a visit to Bishnoi village to know how this community has laid their lives to protect trees and what principles Bishnoi follow (mind you, they are very strict). We will also be exploring the rich wildlife hidden in desert where you can see a black buck as closely as you want. This region is also known for producing beautiful pottery and block printed sheets. Be ready to be amazed by the artistic taste of Marwaris as their classical music is highly cultivated, and songs are amusing. Feel like an insider for sometime as you will dress like Marwaris and have a relaxing fun cultural evening with local artists, who are also going to play Ravanahatha (an ancient bowed violin) for you.
Are you ready to learn some distinct dance steps as well? We all know that any cultural experience is incomplete without experiencing its cuisine. We ain’t just going to treat your taste buds with rich Marwari vegetarian delicacies, but have also arranged a cooking class session with the local ladies so that you bring some scrumptious memories back home.
- Marwari Homestay: Stay in authentic round huts with thatched straw roots and mud walls, which have beautiful tribal paintings made by the host family itself. Mud keeps them warm in winter and comfortably cold in summer.
- Bishnoi Village Safari: Bishnois are highly dedicated towards conserving trees and wild animals. In the past, they have even laid their lives to protect trees. Unlike other Hindu communities, they cremate their dead, instead of burning them, to save wood.
- Block Printing & Pottery: We will have a chance to try our hands at pottery and block printing, and closely interact with the artisans. It is so remarkable to see that even 30 years old blocks are flawlessly used to print the vibrant bed sheets and dress
- Wildlife: We will get to watch some wild animals while playing/ relaxing in their natural habitats during the safari. Many species of desert animals inhabit this region such as Antelopes, Gazelle, Dumessille Crane, Rabbits, Blue Bulls, Migrated Birds.
- Traditional Dressing: Cultural experiences are all about feeling like a native, right? Wear the traditional Marwari dress and jewelry to look like a native! We bet that you would not want to change your outfit after that.
- Cooking Class: We know that you will love Indian food. How about taking some cooking skills back home? Get a cooking class from our brilliant Marwari ladies.
- Marwari Folk Music & Dance: Nothing can be melodious to your ears & soul than listening to artists playing Rawanhatta, which is an ancient bowed violin. Once prevalent in many parts of India, these days Rawanhatta is played only by Marwaris and Mewads.
- Sunrise/ Sunset Trek: The village has so many spots from where you can see the breathtaking sunrise and sunset. These are going to be really short treks which will involve hiking a small hill (~ 1km) to see the breathtaking views.
Stay: Comfortable homestays on twin-sharing basis
Meals: All meals(breakfast, lunch and dinner)
Activities: Rafting, Rural Living